How to Create Easy Digital Downloads Feeds
- Click the New Feed tab
- Name the feed – give each feed a unique name
- Select Google Product Taxonomy – This is not a mandatory field, but ignoring it will give a warning when adding feeds to Product Catalog. It can be useful if you need to create Product Sets. Choose the best matching category.
- Click on “Generate the feed” button
Map the Fields:
- The mapping is done automatically. You just need to check if everything goes where you want it to go and make any changes that you consider necessary.
Tips for Dynamic Ads Feeds:
- Using product description in your Dynamic Ads template will be almost impossible because of the size of it. You can use keywords to create a personalize description when you create the template. If there are problems when uploading the feed because of the description content, you can map it to title or some other field that all your products have. Remember, products with no description value will be rejected.
- Product ID: Facebook will match the products based on the product ID. Make sure that both the feed and the Facebook pixel code on your site are using the same rule. The default setting will use the ID (WordPress allocated id) and this does the job well in the vast majority of users.
If you want you can personalize the feed according to your needs.
Decide what products should go in each feed. You can filter by:
- EDD Product Categories
- Product Tags: add tags separated by comma
- Price: select if you want to include all products, paid product only, free products only
- Product Type: single product, bundle, all
EDD Software License
If you’re using EDD Software License, you can filter the feeds based on the license options:
- no license
Multiple Prices Products
Decide what price to use for your feed when a product has multiple prices
- the smaller price
- the bigger price
- first price
Remove Capital Letters from Product Title
Facebook will reject products if the title has only capital letters. Check this option to clean up product title and remove the capital letters.
“MY PRODUCT NAME. SUPER GOOD” will be transformed into: “My product name. Super good”
The feed will use your site name as the default value for the brand filed. If you want, you can map it to a different value. Additionally, you add a fallback value to be used when the selected field is empty. You can also define a global brand to be used for all your products.
The Facebook Feed has a limited number of additional fields: custom_label 0 to 4. You can map each of them to anything you want and use each custom label for your Dynamic Ads template (they will be available as dynamic keywords).
Auto Refresh Interval
The plugin will auto-refresh all the XML feeds in a given interval.
You can select between hourly, twice daily, daily and once a week.
The autorefresh is based on WordPress cron. If you are not familiar with how the cron works, this is the basic stuff:
- A visitor comes to any page on your WordPress website.
- WordPress Cron checks each cron event to see whether the scheduled time has passed.
- If the scheduled time for that event has passed, then WordPress Cron executes any actions tied to that event.
Depending on the number of products you have, a smaller interval can put weight on your server resources.
Important: You will also have an option to Schedule Updates when you upload the Product Feed for the Product Catalog in the Facebook Business admin area. This will tell Facebook when to reload the feed data again. It can be daily at a certain hour, or weekly on a specific day at a specific hour.
How to Manage Feeds
If you have any feeds created they will be visible under the Manage Feeds tab. For each feed, you will have a few key data, like feed name, EDD categories and the last time the feed was updated (including the last auto-refresh).
- View: this will open the XML feed. You can use this URL with the Facebook Product Catalog
- Edit: you can change feed settings here
- Regenerate: you can regenerate each feed
Export the feeds
You can export each feed in XML or CSV format. They will be compatible with Facebook Product Catalog.
TIP: Most of the time the best option is to use the XML URL to upload your products. The data will be updated automatically and your ads will be synchronized with the inventory of your store.